New Hires Program
A program for regulated healthcare professionals new to working in diabetes.
This program is planned and offered in partnership by Leadership Sinai Centre for Diabetes (Mount Sinai Hospital/Sinai Health Systems), SUNDEC (Sunnybrook Academic Family Health Team) and Toronto Diabetes Care Connect (South Riverdale Community Health Centre).
The program is supported by a number of partnerships including:
- Service Integration Partnership (integrating the Choices & Changes Workshop and Practice Session):
- Choose Health Self-Management Program, a program South Riverdale Community Health Centre
- Service Delivery Partnerships (currently or previously providing expert session facilitators):
- Anishnawabe Health Toronto
- Black Creek Community Health Centre
- Comprehensive Care Program, a program of St. Micheal’s Hospital
- DECNET, a program of South Riverdale Community Health Centre
- Michael Garron Hospital
- Leadership Sinai Centre for Diabetes, a program of Mount Sinai Hospital, Sinai Health Systems
- SUNDEC, a program of Sunnybrook Academic Family Health Team
- Sunnybrook Health Sceinces Centre
- Wounds Canada
Program purpose & objectives
The purpose of the New Hires program is to increase the competency level of regulated health care professionals, who are new to providing care to individuals with type 2 diabetes, so that they are better able to support these individuals in the self-management of their condition.
Following completion of this program, participants will increase their competency in their ability to:
- Assess patients with diabetes for education and treatment needs.
- Teach a basic curriculum of diabetes to individuals with type 2 diabetes focusing on:
- Counsel patients regarding behaviour change
- Access community resources to support chronic disease management.
- Understand the role of the diabetes educator in the interprofessional team in the workplace setting.
- Perspectives & Understanding of Living with DM
- Changing Health Behaviour
- Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, & Complication Screening
- Teaching for Effect
- Foot Care
- Physical Activity & Diabetes
- Nutrition & Diabetes
- Program Planning
- Team Approach to Diabetes Management
Note: This program includes the Choices & Change Workshop and a Practice Session offered through partnership with the Choose Health Self-Management Program, South Riverdale Community Health Centre).
This program aims to support the development of many of the competencies required to become a certified diabetes educator.
- For a full list of the CDEBC competencies addressed please click here.
This program is NOT intended to address advanced-level competencies required to support clients with more complex diabetes management needs including those who are:
- Using insulin regimens
- Living with medically complex type 2 diabetes
- Living with type 1 diabetes or gestational diabetes
- Pregnant or planning pregnancy
Program Administrator and Coordinator:
- Lori Sutton, RD (CDE)/Regional Facilitator, Toronto Diabetes Care Connect, South Riverdale Community Health Centre
- Gail MacNeill, Manager/CNS (CDE), Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto
- Leigh Caplan, RN (CDE)/Team Lead, Sunnybrook Academic Family Health Team, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
Topic specific sessions are facilitated by healthcare providers working in the local area with expertise around diabetes.
The program requires a commitment to participate in both the sessions and the in in-between session activities in order to meet the learning needs of the program.
A program completion certificate will be issued on the last day of the program. In order to receive the certificate, attendance at all 4 sessions/days is required.
Registration for the fall 2019 New Hires Program is now closed.
- The program is offered once a year in the fall with registration opening over the summer.
- The next program will be offered in the fall/winter of 2020.
- The 4 day long program is held every two weeks from 9:00 – 5:00 at a downtown Toronto location.
- You must attend all four days to receive a completion certificate.
- The registration fee is $130.00.
Information about the New Hires Program (including upcoming program dates and registration information) is shared via the Toronto Diabetes Care Connect email distribution list. If you wish to be added to this email distribution list please email Lori Sutton at firstname.lastname@example.org.