Diabetes Management Support
Get connected to a program below for support with diabetes management (step 3)
The support of a whole healthcare team can lower the risk of diabetes-related health problems.
Support for Children & Youth
The Hospital for Sick Children (Sick Kids) provides support to individuals under 18 years of age within the Toronto Central Region.
A referral from a primary care provider (e.g. physician, nurse practitioner) is required. Providers can visit Sick Kids Referral page for more information.
Support for Adults
Within the Toronto Central Region how to connect to support for those 18 years of age or older depends on what type of diabetes it is.
Type 1 Diabetes, Gestational Diabetes, & Diabetes with Pregnancy
For those with type 1 diabetes, gestational diabetes (high blood sugars during pregnancy), or type 2 diabetes (if pregnant or planning pregnancy) it is recommended by Diabetes Canada that diabetes care be provided by a team that includes a diabetes specialist (endocrinologist).
An endocrinology referral within the Toronto Central Region usually needs to be made by a primary care provider (e.g. physician, nurse practitioner). Providers can visit our Endocrinology Referral Support page for more information.
Type 2 Diabetes or Prediabetes
The programs listed below provide support for those with type 2 diabetes, prediabetes, or who are at very high risk of diabetes.
If you don’t know what type of diabetes it is and are looking for support you can click here to request support and select “I don’t know” for the type of diabetes.
Other Diabetes Management Supports
- Diabetes Canada(Information and tools)
- Diabetes College(on-line exercise/healthy living program)
- Diabetes, Exercise & Health Lifestyle Program(6 month program at Toronto Rehab Institute)
- Eat Right Ontario(connect with a registered dietitian)
- The Hospital for Sick Children(diabetes support for those under 18 years of age)
- Childhood Obesity ProgramsFind childhood obesity treatment programs in Ontario