Diabetes Management Support
Get connected to a program below for support with diabetes management (step 3)
The support of a whole healthcare team can lower the risk of diabetes-related health problems.
Support for Children & Youth
Early screening, diagnosis, and urgent referral to specialized paediatric diabetes support by a primary care provider (family doctor or nurse practitioner) helps lower the risk of life-threatening diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).
The Ontario Paediatric Diabetes Network (PDN) can help you to find support for individuals under 18 years of age with diabetes.
JDRF can provide additional resources and support for children, youth and families living with Type 1 Diabetes to help them to live healthier, easier, and safer lives.
Support for Adults
Within the Toronto Central Region how to connect to support for those 18 years of age or older depends on what type of diabetes it is.
Type 1 Diabetes, Gestational Diabetes, & Diabetes with Pregnancy
For those with type 1 diabetes, gestational diabetes (high blood sugars during pregnancy), or type 2 diabetes (if pregnant or planning pregnancy) it is recommended by Diabetes Canada that diabetes care be provided by a team that includes a diabetes specialist (endocrinologist).
An endocrinology referral within the Toronto Central Region usually needs to be made by a primary care provider (e.g. physician, nurse practitioner). Providers can visit our Endocrinology Referral Support page for more information.
JDRF can provide additional resources and support for adults living with Type 1 Diabetes to help them to live healthier, easier, and safer lives.
Type 2 Diabetes or Prediabetes
The programs below provide support for those with type 2 diabetes, prediabetes, or who are at very high risk of diabetes.
If you don’t know what type of diabetes it is and are looking for support you can click here to request support and select “I don’t know” for the type of diabetes.
- Endocrinology Support (Toronto)To connect people with type 1 diabetes or any type of diabetes when pregnant/planning pregnancy with inter-professional team that includes an endocrinologist
- Diabetes CanadaInformation and tools for those with or at risk of diabetes and the healthcare providers supporting them
- Diabetes CollegeOn-line exercise/healthy living program offered by University Health Network
- Diabetes, Exercise & Healthy Lifestyle Program (Toronto)6 month program at Toronto Rehab Institute for those with or at risk of diabetes
- Ontario Paediatric Diabetes Network (PDN)Support for those under 18 years of age with diabetes
- Childhood Obesity ProgramsChildhood obesity treatment programs in Ontario
- JDRFResources & support for adults, children, youth & families affected by Type 1 Diabetes.